New Boiler Replacement and Installation Guide
A boiler is the heart of your home’s central heating system. Getting a new installation can therefore be a complex and admittedly expensive process. Here at HomeServe Heating, we understand how difficult this process can be and we’re here to help you make the best decision to suit your home and needs. Here’s a few factors that we believe you should prioritise when choosing your new boiler:
- Cost of installation
- What to consider
- When's the right time to change my boiler?
- Types of boilers
- Popular boiler brands
- Get a new boiler quote
- Our local engineers
What's the cost of a new boiler installation
“How much will a new boiler cost to install?” This is likely to be one of the first questions on your mind if you’re considering getting a new boiler installed into your home. A new boiler installation can indeed be costly, but the right boiler could deliver effective and efficient heating and hot water to your home and ultimately make your household a more comfortable place to live – an investment we believe to be well worth making.
The cost of a new boiler installation can vary greatly, the expense for one household may be cheaper than that of another. For example, a homeowner wanting to replace their current combi boiler with another of its type could pay less than an individual looking to switch from a regular boiler to a combi. Costs could also be dependent on factors such as the type of boiler chosen, its size and the complexity of the installation process. For instance, if additional parts or labour (such as scaffolding or pipe-rewiring) is required, additional fees may be incurred. Here at HomeServe Heating, we aim to offer first-class installations of top boiler brands, such as Worcester Bosch and Baxi, at competitive prices. We aim to ensure that you get the best value for your money in relation to your boiler, the installation and the service you receive.
Try our free, online quote tool to receive a personalised quote of how much your new boiler installation could cost. We aim to take into consideration factors such as your budget, home size and central heating requirements to provide you with a realistic estimate of installation costs.
Things to consider before buying a new boiler
As a new boiler installation is generally an important and expensive affair, there are a number of factors that you should take into consideration before taking the plunge. These include:
- kW output/The size of the boiler – This is one of the main factors to take into consideration when purchasing a new boiler system. A kW output dictates a boiler’s ability to cope with your household’s heating and hot-water needs. The required output tends to be reliant on the number of bathrooms and radiators that are present within your home, so if your household tends to have high central heating demands, you may need a boiler with a higher kW output. It would also be beneficial for you to think about the physical size of the boiler and establish the types of dimensions that would be able to fit comfortably in your home.
- 24-27kW: 1-2 bedroom, 10 radiators, 1 bathroom
- 28-34kW: 3-4 bedroom, 15 radiators, 1-2 bathroom
- 35-42kW 4+ bedroom, 20 radiators, 2+ bathroom
(This information has been supplied By Help-Link UK limited and has been produced for information purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as a substitute for professional advice by a suitably qualified engineer.)
- Reliability –A reliable boiler could save you both stress and money in the long run as boiler breakdowns can be both highly inconvenient and expensive to fix. Investing in a reliable boiler could prevent you from being left in the cold and could also save you money in repair costs, so bear that in mind during your decision-making process. Here at HomeServe Heating, we always aim to supply the most reliable boilers, so contact us if you’d like our help deciding which option could be the best choice for your home.
- The location of your new boiler – The location of your boiler could impact the spacing and appearance of your household, you should therefore think about a suitable place for it to be fitted. It often saves homeowners time and money to place their new boiler in the same location as their old one, as this typically enables a quick and easy installation. However, if you believe that your boiler could be better suited elsewhere, there are a number of locations that you could choose from.
- Energy-Efficiency – An energy-efficient boiler could allow you to make savings on your energy bills by reducing your energy wastage**! All of the boilers that we stock at HomeServe Heating are A-rated for efficiency and could be coupled with a state of the art thermostat (such as Nest or Netatmo) to potentially provide you with the ultimate energy-efficient, central heating system. Boilers such as our Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30i are built with key feature such as user-friendly controls to enhance efficiency by allowing you to set your heating to your preference and avoid energy wastage. According to the Energy savings Trust, replacing a G-rated boiler in a semi-detached property with an A-rated boiler could save you up to £210 on your annual energy bill!**
- Installation Time – Another key factor to consider is the length of time your new boiler installation could take. A new boiler installation could take between 1 to 5 days depending on the work required. System changes often take longer than like for like swaps, for instance, a change from a regular boiler to a combi is likely to take longer than a straight combi to combi swap. It is in your best interest to consider the time it could take for your new boiler to be installed, as this could give you an idea of how long you could be without your central heating, as well as providing you with a timeframe should you have to take time off work. Our friendly and reliable Gas Safe engineers aim to complete all installations quickly and thoroughly and are committed to getting your heating and hot-water up and running as soon as possible.
- Get an engineer’s opinion – Last but not least, it is often beneficial to get an informed opinion from a qualified engineer to ensure that you’re making the best decision about your home heating. One of our expert surveyors would be more than happy to conduct a survey at your home and will aim to provide you with the best advice. We can recommend a boiler type, brand and model for your home, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you’re in need of help.
When's the right time to get a new boiler?
On average, boilers last between 10 and 15 years. So, if your boiler is coming up to this age, it may be time for you to consider getting a new one installed. Besides their age, there are a number of other reasons for replacing your old boiler system. This could include:
- Beyond economical repair (BER) – Last but not least, it is often beneficial to get an informed opinion from a qualified engineer to ensure that you’re making the best decision about your home heating. One of our expert surveyors would be more than happy to conduct a survey at your home and will aim to provide you with the best advice. We can recommend a boiler type, brand and model for your home, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you’re in need of help.
- Moving the system – If you’re unhappy with the location that your boiler is in, installing a brand-new boiler could be more worthwhile. It could also potentially be less-hassle as you’ll have the option to upgrade your system and get a more energy-efficient source of central heating.
- Current system fails to meet your needs – Many homeowners opt for a new boiler replacement if they find that their current system struggles to meet their heating and hot-water needs. For example, a homeowner whose property has high hot-water and heating demands may choose to install a boiler with a higher kW output.
- Low energy-efficiency rating – Boilers with low energy-efficiency ratings could cause higher energy bills. It could therefore be beneficial for homeowners with low-efficiency boiler systems to invest in a system that has higher levels of energy-efficiency, as this could enable more savings!** The UK government is keen to promote the installation of A-rated energy-efficient boilers, in order to increase savings as well as protect the environment. Read more about some of the government’s schemes for energy-efficiency here.
- Selling/renting your property – A house with a new boiler could be more appealing to buyers and tenants than a home with an older and potentially less energy-efficient system. It could therefore be beneficial for you to invest in a new boiler if you plan on selling your home, as this could enhance buyer/tenant interest.
What types of boilers are there?
If you're looking for a boiler replacement, there are several different types of systems that we can install into your home. These include:
- Compact size; good choice for smaller properties
- No loft space needed in your home
- Less pipework required which typically makes the installation cheaper – unless undergoing a system swap
- Provides a constant flow of hot water from the mains
- Read more about Combi boilers
- Typically suitable for homes with more than one bathroom
- Doesn't need a loft tank, which saves space
- No feed or expansion cistern makes them more efficient
- Offer a constant supply of hot water to any number of taps
- Read more about System boilers
- A typically great choice for homes where a lot of hot water is used at the same time
- Typically suitable for large households with two or more bathrooms
- Requires a cold water storage tank in the loft as well as a hot water tank
- Read more about Conventional boilers
What boiler brands are there to choose from?
We offer boilers from a variety of different brands. All of the brands that we work with are popular within the industry and pride themselves on their production of highly-efficient, top-quality boiler systems. Although some are more expensive than others, you can rest assured that all of the boilers that we supply are manufactured with your satisfaction in mind. Boiler brands that we offer include:
- ➤ Price range: £590 - £2200***
- ➤ Respectable Accolade: Awarded with The Queen’s Award for Enterprise for their high levels of excellence and industry-leading technology
- ➤ Find out more: Ideal Boiler Page
- ➤ Price range: £570 - £6188***
- ➤ Respectable Accolade: Products awarded Which? Best buys on numerous occasions and the company has been granted with a Royal Warrant – their boilers have been used in Her Majesty The Queen’s Sandringham Estate
- ➤ Find out more: Worcester Bosch Boiler Page
- ➤ Price range: £740-£1500***
- ➤ Respectable Accolade: Regarded as pioneering the combi boiler and awarded Superbrand status
- ➤ Find out more: Vaillant Boiler Page
- ➤ Price range: £570 - £2172***
- ➤ Respectable Accolade: Awarded Heating Product of the year in 2017 by the Heating and Ventilation Awards for their Baxi 400 Combi Boiler
- ➤ Find out more: Baxi Boiler Page
- ➤ Price Range: £575 - £1200***
- ➤ Respectable Accolade: Nominated for the 2018 Domestic product of the Year award for their Evolve boiler range by the Heating and Ventilation Awards
- ➤ Find out more: Vokera Boiler Page
- ➤ Price range: £640 - £1520***
- ➤ Respectable Accolade: Shortlisted for ‘Installation of the Year’ by the National Heat Pump Awards for their Clearly Hybrid heating system
- ➤ Find out more: Glow-worm Boiler Page
- ➤ Price Range: £650 - £1100***
- ➤ Respectable Accolade: Awarded Supplier of the year at the 2017 National Energy Efficiency and Healthy Homes Awards
- ➤ Find out more: Intergas Boiler Page
- ➤ Price range: £610-£1,000***
- ➤ Respectable Accolade: Awarded Which? Best Buy for the Potterton Gold Combi 24 HE for four years running
- ➤ Find out more: Potterton Boiler Page
- ➤ Price range: £740 - £1500***
- ➤ Respectable Accolade: German Design Award Winner
- ➤ Find out more: Viessmann Boiler Page
- ➤ Price Range: £700-£2,250***
- ➤ Respectable Accolade: H&V News Awards’ Domestic Installer of the Year finalists
- ➤ Find out more: Alpha Boiler Page
Getting a new boiler quote
We provide our customers with a free, online quote tool to help them get a better idea of how much their new boiler installation could cost. Taking into consideration factors such as your budget, home size and central heating requirements, this tool is designed to provide you with a realistic estimate of costs as well as a recommendation of a suitable boiler type, brand and model. There’s no obligation with this service, all you have to do is answer a few simple questions and within as little as 30 seconds you could be provided with your personalised quote.
Once you’ve received your quote, our team will get in touch with you as soon as possible to arrange an appointment with one of our trained surveyors. Why not give it a try? It could be the first step towards your brand-new boiler installation!
Find a central heating engineer in your local area
We offer a local boiler service across the country and you could get a new installation in areas across the UK.
Our network of HomeServe Heating Gas Safe registered engineers are able to provide you with the full range of domestic heating services. You can get a new installation in areas including - but not limited to:
*5% online discount is available to domestic gas and LPG customers who receive an online quote for all boiler brands. £50 additional discount available on all like-for-like system swaps excluding Ideal Logic HE24 and HE30 boilers & Ideal Logic HO12 & HO15 boilers and an additional £100 discount is available on conventional to combi, and combi to conventional boiler swaps. Online discounted price is only available for the duration of the 14-day quote validity which starts from the day the quote was given. HomeServe Heating include a filter as part of your quote as this is highly recommended by the boiler manufacturer as a key component in maintaining boiler health, functionality and may potentially be looked upon favourably by manufacturers when assessing warranty work. This filter can be removed at the customer’s request. Quote also includes a Honeywell CM727 programmable thermostat for all combi boiler installations as this is a legal requirement as part of the Boiler + legislation introduced 6th April 2018, and cannot be removed from the installation unless; it is replaced with an alternative smart thermostat; or another energy saving measure as listed in the Boiler + legislation or if an smart thermostat already exists within the property. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers. HomeServe Heating Services UK Ltd have the right to withdraw or change the offer at any time. Online discount is automatically applied when the customer gets a quote using the online quote system at www.homeserveboilers.com and as long as the customer meets all the above criteria.
***Source: Which.co.uk - prices correct as of February 2018