Although we use it everyday, our gas and electricity consumption is somewhat of a mystery.
Here are our top 10 energy facts that may help you to conserve energy while reducing your bills.
- A boiler of 15 years old, or more, may be wasting as much as 30-40p of every pound spent on heating your home and hot water.
- You could save £50-£90 a year by ensuring appliances and devices are switched off and not left on standby.
- A typical window left open overnight in winter will waste enough energy to drive a small car over 35 miles.
- Installing the correct heating controls with your A-rated boiler can reduce energy bills by up to 23% annually.
- Upgrading to an energy efficient fridge/freezer could save around £23 per year.
- Your home loses 35% of its heat through the walls, 25% through the roof, and 10% through the windows.
- Around 55% of what you spend on energy bills annually can be attributed to the efficiency of your boiler.
- Blocking draughts around letter boxes, keyholes, windows, chimneys and floorboards could lead to savings of £25-£50 a year.
- An effective magnetic filter in your central heating system can cut household heating bills and carbon emissions, while reducing system maintenance call-outs. It can also help increase the life of your boiler beyond the industry accepted lifespan.
- An energy monitor is a simple handheld gadget that costs around £25 and estimates in real time how much energy you're using.